Sunday, October 21, 2007

I'm Stickin' To It...



I'll be honest- I never thought I'd be a blogger. I don't even keep up on my emails! But I have something that really bothers me- you know the kind of bother that sits in the back of your mind and resurfaces frequently enough to remind you that it's there. The bother that I'm referring to is that of "backed-up scrapbooking". I am so behind! I have so many awesome pictures and stories but they aren't put together in a way that my family can enjoy them. So here I am- trying to save a little piece of mind while I document pieces of our lives. My inspiration to do this comes from watching my sweet boys grow and do amazing/funny/crazy things that I don't want to forget. The story that ultimately pushed me over the blogger edge is one involving my Blakers...


It just happened to be an extra busy morning. It was Ethan's first day of piano lessons that are scheduled before school and we needed to leave in five minutes to be there on time. Darren was not home from his bike ride, yet, so I was with all three boys. It's usually not a problem unless someone gets too curious. I was rinsing a dish and Blake was sitting on the counter next to me. All the sudden he started crying a very anxious, scared cry and when I turned to him he was putting his hands in his mouth. I thought that he'd hurt his finger and was sucking on it. I immediately went to him and tried to look at his fingers but I couldn't get them out as quickly as they should have come. Why? Well, I guess that darn super glue really does work on all surfaces. Yes, he had bit into a small bottle of super glue and his first reaction was to try and get it out with his fingers. Once we got his fingers unglued from his mouth the next step was seperating the tongue from the teeth and the teeth from the lips. As I did this, I told him to hold his tongue back so that it wouldn't reapply itself and then I held his lip away from his teeth. This initiated another problem- now his retracted lip was stuck to his chin and my fingers were getting stuck together! I moved his lip off his chin before we were in serious trouble. Now the next step was damage control clean-up. I had to floss the dried glue out of his cute little teeth and peel pieces of glue off of his lip and chin. I couldn't get it all off and what was removed left irritated, red skin. I couldn't help but want to cuddle him and comfort him because he was so scared he was shaking. But all is well- he's a survivor. When we got back from piano he was smiling and ready to go to preschool where he shared his story with everyone. I heard him warning his friends about his run-in with glue.


So there you have it- a boy, some glue, and a strong desire to remember the story. This is my life...they are my inspiration!

3 comments:

Justin and Jill said...

You are a natural blogger! I am looking forward to many more stories from Blake. He is a beauty.
JLM

Justin and Jill said...

Blake is great! What a great story to remember. Although, I don't think I would have forgotten it! We look forward to more fun experiences.
Jill

Paula said...

Great idea to blog! In years from now, you might remember the incident but not the details. I'm glad my sweet Vegas boys have such a caring, loving mother. Thanks for being so brave, Blake!

Love, Grandma Bailey