Saturday, November 10, 2007

All Growed Up...



In retrospect, the morning after Halloween was going way too smoothly. You don't appreciate this until something not-so-smooth happens. I was in charge of carpooling 5 extra kiddos plus my own. We got to the school and all the kids were walking onto the playground except Ethan, who was busy getting a good long guzzle of water from a water bottle. Even though the bell hand rung, he continued to drink. I took the water bottle out of his mouth in attempt to hurry him a bit and as I did this it smacked his already very loose tooth. (See "side note" post.) Since his tooth was already sensitive he was immediately holding his mouth. Of course, things got much more emotional with the sight of blood. After rinsing his mouth and using a tissue we got it cleaned up enough for me to point out that he had to let me pull it or it wouldn't stop bleeding. Up until now he kept telling me "maybe tomorrow". Keep in mind that we are now late for school and we are still sitting in the school parking lot. He finally let me "try one time" (I told him that if it wasn't out after one try then we would leave it alone). It came out- or almost fell out on its own- and his expression went from terror (seriously) to jumping up and down and laughing. I walked him into the school and the whole way in he stopped every student, parent, teacher and told them about the tooth. He went into his class all smiles and was honored to get a sticker and put his name on the classroom tooth-losing poster. My point to this story is this: he is growing up. He is getting big teeth, riding bigger bikes, playing sports, watching kid movies (not to be confused with "baby movies" like past Disney favorites), taking piano lessons, reading chapter books... In hopes of freezing moments in time, I am going to try to make periodic lists of my children's favorite things. Following is a list of questions from mom with answers from Ethan.

Favorite Color: red
Fav Sport to play: basketball
Fav thing to do with the family: FHE (that's my boy!)
Fav thing to do outside: play basketball
Fav movie: the Sandlot
Fav food: pizza
Fav snack: ice cream and home-made banana pie
Fav thing to do at school: lunch time (that's dad's boy)
Fav subject: humanities
FAv holiday: Christmas

I'm so glad that Ethan still wants mom to stay close to him. He tells me that he is nervous about going on a mission and getting married and being a "parent" because both things will require him to leave the nest. I assure him that he can stay with us for as long as he wants, even when he is a parent! He is such a sweet boy- I love him so much.

1 comment:

Justin and Jill said...

Great soccer picture. He is growing up, especially if his favorite suject is humanities. What is humanities?! You are pretty good at pulling teeth. I think I recall you pulling out my tooth once (without my permission) at the Marx's house!