Friday, November 7, 2008

Take A Hike


I was getting the car packed for a Halloween day hike up at Red Rock when Ethan came to me and told me that he felt like something had bit him on the neck. The kids are always trying to catch bees and bugs so it didn't surprise me. I looked, though, and didn't see anything. He kept grabbing his neck and within 10 minutes he was beside himself is pain. He couldn't even get him into the car when I was trying to get him to the doctor's office. We were sent by our doc to the ER for testing...his doc later called me and said that she had been really worried since Ethan could barely move his neck when we got to her. After a long morning/afternoon at the hospital we were released with some codein and a really sad boy...all due to a serious neck spasm. Who even knows what set it off! Ethan sat all day holding his neck and crying. We had invited some friends over for a chili dinner and trick-or-treating, so his mind was diverted a bit that night. Darren pushed him around in a stroller so that he could be part of the festivities. The next day he was still in pain and crying on and off until dinner time. At that point things seemed to get less sore so that by the third day he was just stiff. I should have gotten a picture of him from behind. His shoulders sloped and his upper back bone was curved off to the side. Luckily, now a week later, he is back to riding his bike and playing like before. Curse you, neck spasm.

4 comments:

Paula said...

I'm so glad Ethan is feeling better! As ever, I wish I could tell you that episode will be your last. But alas, with four children, there probably will be many more trips to the ER for surprise hurts!

Unknown said...

I am sure glad he's doing better and that it wasn't anything too serious. Hope you and your little one are feeling well also.

Emily said...

Hiking with out the Bryan boys just isn't the same! I'm glad he's feeling better.

team howey said...

Tucker had the same thing happen a few years ago. After a CT scan and a night at the ER, they told us it was just a muscle spasm. Crazy.