Friday, February 20, 2009

Our Newest Addition...How It All Went Down


So dang cute!


We were followed by a perinatologist for most of the pregnancy due (mostly) to a hole in the heart and an arrhythmia. This is a follow-up EKG.



Look at that beautiful hair.


Weighing in at 7.1 lbs and measuring 18 3/4 inches. He's a little one.


Little bit of oxygen after the tight nuchal. (It's funny to say that...I feel so official.)


Ready to roll.


Triage...take two.

When we were on our way to ward temple night on Valentine's Day, I told Darren that my contractions were a bit more painful than usual. They started coming every ten minutes and it was funny to watch Darren look over at me and keep motioning for us to leave. We finished and headed home, only to have the contractions space themselves out a bit. I couldn't decide what we should do but we did end up at the hospital around mid-night. After two hours of no progress, they sent me home with a sleeping pill. The next morning I took a walk with Keaton while some friends took Ethan and Blake to church. By the time church was over, we were sending Keaton with those friends and Darren and I headed over to the hospital again. We got there at 1:00 and they let me stay this time.
We had awesome nurses and my doctor came in to deliver even though he was not on call that weekend. He's an awesome guy and he did a great job making this a great experience. We all made bets on what gender we thought the baby was. I bet on boy and Darren bet on girl. The nurses loved our name selections and one of them just might use Nash, too. (We had chosen Shae as our girl name.)
When it was show time, Darren told the doc he didn't want to cut the cord because he was afraid of chopping off the babies toes. The doc assured him that he could do it fine. However, when Nash's head was out the doc told the nurses that there was a tight nuchal (basically the cord around the neck) and the doc had to clip the cord before the babies body was even out! It was amazing to see them all work and keep calm even though our sweet baby was almost grey at this point. I got to move the cord out of the way and that's when we found out we were adding to our personal basketball team- it's a boy. Yeah! After a quick hug from me he was whisked away to get some screams out and have a bath. He was born at 3:54.
I love this time. For those first life moments I feel a closeness to heaven that only babies can deliver. I have bonded quicker than I thought possible with this little baby and I know he was meant to be a Bryan Boy!

6 comments:

Justin and Jill said...

He looks like a Bryan Boy--with a little more of you, I think! He is so dang cute. I really just want to reach through the computer and pick him up. I have to say that he is lucky to be a Bryan Boy.

Jake, Teylor, Walker & Hayes said...

Yeah! I am so excited for you guys:) 4 boys - that is exciting! He is adorable! So cute:)

Beck's said...

Congratulations. He is a keeper. You guys are batting a thousand 4 for 4 on the boy part. You look great. He is so cute.

Jessica said...

Congrats! Boys are great. Hope you don't mind me lurking on your blog every once and a while.. I was waiting for this post to come. Best wishes! :)

Gina said...

How cute! I agree with Jill, I think he looks a little like you. I can't wait to see you guys, hopefully sometime soon.

Andrea said...

Yeay! The story! Very fun and congrats again- he is so cute.